Updated: Dec 6, 2017
“Optimal adrenal health is one of the major keys to the enjoyment of life” If you have adrenal fatigue take these simple steps of necessary lifestyle and dietary changes to revive your adrenals and begin to enjoy life again! ~ Suzanne
• Identify and remove stressors – this is the most important step. Emotional stressors such as relationships or financial problems needs to be dealt with and normalized. It might require a change in hours, who you spend time with, or even occupation. Make the necessary changes to restore your health.
• Go to sleep by by 10pm. You may need to set an alarm and begin getting ready for bed by 9pm.
• Whenever possible get rest in the morning from 7-9am, the optimal hours to restore adrenal function.
• Include something you enjoy every day, a leisurely walk, 30min of reading a great book, weekly massage, etc… Schedule these necessities into your calendar so that you are sure to carve out time for self-care.
• Incorporate humor into your day, laugh at comics, watch a funny video or just belly laugh about something funny with your spouse.
• Avoid becoming over-tired, by ensuring proper bedtime and avoiding activities that cut into your time for restful restorative sleep. Try red light at night and avoid computer screens, iPads or stimulating blue light after 7pm.
• Consider a melatonin supplement 3-6mg at bedtime to help regululate cortisol before bed.
• Exercise gently at least 5 days per week, preferably morning and not late in the day. Try swimming, gentle bike rides, walking, yoga, stretching, or any restorative activity that incorporates breathing. Avoid high adrenaline activities, like kayaking, competitive sports, running, cross fit or high intensity training until you are well on your way to healing.
• Drink high quality, purified water with added minerals. Natural mineral waters, like San Pellegrino are also helpful to restore the missing minerals, like magnesium and have the added benefit of sulfur.
• Avoid negative people who drain your energy and instead make time for friends and family who lift you up, support you and encourage you. Life is too short to waste time on those who steal your joy.
• Consider taking specific adrenal-supportive nutrients with your doctor: Some of my favorites are Vitamin C, B complex, pantothenic acid, magnesium, and vitamin E.
• Consider adaptogenic herbs, like ashwaganda, rhodiola, ginseng, and licorice.
• A poor unhealthy diet is a key causes of Adrenal Fatigue
• Always eat breakfast before 10am. The body’s glycogen supply needs to be replenished after going through the night. Try to eat your lunch before noon and evening meal before 6 p.m.
• Avoid coffee or other caffeinated beverages. Coffee and tea act as stimulants and interrupt sleep pattern. Herbal tea is acceptable because it does not contain caffeine.
• Eat within one hour of waking. Fasting is hard on the adrenal glands so minimize time overnight fasting. Never skip breakfast and be sure your first meal contains high quality protein and no refined carbohydrates or sugar. Eat your starches in the evening and never in the morning.
• Drink a large glass of water in the morning immediately upon waking with 1 teaspoon of Redmond real sea saltand 1/2 squeezed lemon. You can also use 1 scoop of my favorite adrenal supportive electrolytes in water:
• Sprinkle sea salt liberally on food to taste provided blood pressure is normal. Foods high in potassium such as banana can make the adrenals worse and should be avoided.
• Adopt a whole food organic diet, devoid refined grains and all processed food, such as breads, pastas, and rice cakes and crackers.
• Eat 5-7 servings of organic veggies daily
• Avoid high starchy foods, such as white rice and white potatoes. Some people do better with a serving of complex starch, like brown rice, quinoa or sweet potato in the evening to lower cortisol and help them sleep.
• Avoid high sugar fruits and all juices, especially at breakfast.
• Eliminate trans fats (we all should do this anyway!)
• Eat wild-caught seafood at least 3X weekly or taking a high quality mercury-free fish oil supplement.
• Eat foods rich in adrenal-supportive nutrients, such as Organic 85% dark chocolate, leafy greens, nuts, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, flax and chia seeds, and organic grass-fed animal proteins.
• Combine protein and fat at every meal and snack. This will ensure sustained energy is available at and between meals. Avoid eating only fruit or carbohydrates alone as this may cause blood sugar instability. Upping your total fat intake with olive oil, coconut, and avocado may also help.
• Whole fruits may be eaten later in the day at lunch and dinner except banana, fig, melons, or dried fruits. Berries and apples are wonderful low-glycemic options.
• Take small amounts of protein and fat such as nuts, cheese or nut butter before bed if you have difficulty falling asleep or awaken frequently between 2-3am.
Follow these easy tips and before long your adrenals will be recovering and you’ll be on your way to feeling fabulous!
PS Need more help? Go to the Work with me page and schedule your discovery call and let's get to the bottom of your fatigue. ~ Suzanne