Clean Eating Sweet Potato Cakes
- 1 pound peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons healthy oil (I used coconut but you can also use olive or even organic butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (1 egg if using whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 cup coconut flour (or 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour) + more for kneading
- oil for cooking
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Put your potatoes in a large pot of water and boil until soft.
- Drain the water and mash in the oil and salt.
- When the mashed potatoes are still warm (NOT hot!), quickly stir in the eggs.
- Add the flour and stir until you have dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface, and gently knead by hand, adding flour as you go. Remember, this is very soft dough. You want to add enough flour to keep it from sticking to everything, but not so much that flour is all you taste when you eat them.
- Press or roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using a small glass or round cookie cutter, cut out circles and place in a skillet with warmed oil.
- Cook on low to medium heat until brown on both sides. They will burn quickly if the heat is too high. Take your time.
- Serve with maple syrup or savory toppings such as salt or raw cheese.