DIY Warming Rub For Sore Muscles
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cups finely grated, packed cocoa butter (about 2 oz.) (can use cheese grater)
- 2 tablespoons cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 15 drops peppermint oil** (omit for children under 5)
- 15 drops eucalyptus oil*** (half this for children)
- 8 drops clove oil*** (half this for children)
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder or non-GMO cornstarch (optional – reduces oily finish)
double boiler (or a pot that fits inside another pot)
cheesecloth or old t-shirt
INSTRUCTIONS: - Place coconut oil, cayenne and ginger powder in a double boiler and gently warm the oil. Be careful not to let it get hot.
- Once the oil is slightly warm give it a stir and then turn off the burner. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes and then repeat the process. Do this a couple of more times (2 hours total) and then remove from heat completely. Set aside the oil to infuse for longer (I prefer overnight) or move on to step three – it’s up to you!
- Place bowl in freezer so it will be nice and cold when needed.
- Using a cheesecloth or old t-shirt, strain the mixture over a measuring cup. After straining out the spices, add enough coconut oil so that the final amount is 1/2 cup.
- Add the arrowroot powder and mix thoroughly.
- Place the infused coconut oil in the fridge/freezer until it is cool/semi-solid on top. - Don’t let it harden all the way through or it will be very difficult to whip!
- Place the infused coconut oil and cocoa butter in chilled bowl and add your essential oils. Mix on highest setting until peaks form (a stand mixer or old-fashioned hand mixer will both do the trick).
- Store in an airtight jar– keep out of direct sunlight.